9.6.04

roman holiday

Greetings, ladies and gentlemen, and long time no write. I'm back in Toronto now, tanned, tired, but happy. Jet lag is utterly horrible however - nodding off at dinnertime, getting hungry at 2 a.m., and subsequently waking up at 4 a.m. Wonderful.

I have just returned from a week-long minibreak in bella Italia, where the sun was intense, the food was plentiful, the land was beautiful, and the people were gorgeous (especially the men. No further comments here, but...mmmmm). It was a brilliant time, and especially welcome after having sat a rather disastrous last examination and having a generally gruelling year. The journey began and ended in Rome, and the places visited in between included Assisi, Siena, Florence, Pisa, Venice, and Capri. One day, I will own a flat in Venice with a personal (male) gondolier, as well as a villa high up in the hills in Anacapri. (That's not asking too much, is it?) Each day was filled with activity, making the hours in it seem more like 124 as opposed to 24, but it was all the better because of that. Unfortunately, my slow and muddled brain is currently preventing me from detailing the mini-break in its entirety, so ask if you want to know. I'm feeling rather stupid today. Pictures to follow, hopefully.

Upon arrival at home, I was offered a position I'd been eyeing for awhile, on the same day that I was interviewed for it. So I've returned once again, to the masses in suits and pencil skirts, in the financial district of downtown Toronto, except that now I'm working in one of Canada's largest law firms, which is absolutely brilliant. The downside of this is that after months of dancing effortlessly through the streets of London in flats, I'll have to re-learn how to walk in heels. In the past two days, I've rediscovered that heels and grates do not mix. Nor do heels and pavement cracks. Or heels and a state of perpetual sleepiness, for that matter. But really, all a girl could ask for is a hairstyle that looks presentable regardless of humidity, wind speed, or direction. Ah, summer. It's that time of year again - summertime in Toronto - and I've come full circle. I've missed you, Toronto, and I'm glad to be home.