25.5.04

to love you and leave you

I'm finally back in the sweetly-scented comfort of my flat after a long but brilliant day in London. My feet hurt. My legs ache. It was worth it.

The day started off with a tube journey east to Blackfriars, at which point I got off the train and pretended I knew exactly which way I was going (I didn't). Somehow I miraculously ended up in the Tate Modern, which, strangely enough, was where I had intended on being. Housed in quite possibly the ugliest building in central London ('Gherkin' aside) were some of the most fascinating pieces of modern art I've seen in ages - God, I love modern art - including a disturbing hour-long film about the 'position of the reproductive organs during the embryonic process of sexual differentiation'. It was quite...artsy (and not at all like those dreadful high school Biology videos), to say the least.

Lunch at the Tate was delicious. Following that, I wandered all the way down the Thames riverbank, snapping photos like a mad photographer, and ended up at the London Aquarium. It is no Sea World, but it was fun nonetheless, and the white sharks were especially brilliant, especially during the feeding.

Then it was more walking, this time across the Westminster Bridge which passes under Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, up Whitehall, past Downing Street, into Trafalgar Square, onto the Strand, and into Covent Garden at which point I did a bit of retail therapy. Decided it would be virtually impossible to walk back, so I took the tube to the flat where I literally collapsed onto the bed. Met up with A, A and M for dinner at a funky Thai place and then had desserts in the basement of a smoky coffee shop, lounging on leather sofas and catching up. Topics of the day: Freddie Ljungberg. Chopsticks. Royalty. The British national anthem. Kess (*cough*). And erm...Arses (in capitals). Brilliant day. Knackered, though.

This city never ceases to amaze me, and I never get tired of it. It has an indescribable effect - almost magical, and the feeling transcends words. 'Everyone needs a place to think,' read the plaques on the city benches overlooking the river, and I couldn't agree more. Much thinking was done as I sat on those benches, feeling the fresh river breeze in my hair and hearing little else except for the water upon the shore. At one point I was lying on a bench, directly under the London Eye, and the perspective was dizzying but completely otherworldly and, well, surreal. I could have stayed like that for ages.

It must be the weather, but it certainly makes British men horny. I can count on more than one hand how many men were clearly on the pull today, and one of which was a little more direct than the rest. I shall not say where we crossed paths, but the encounter ended with him giving me his mobile number, asking where I live, and what I was doing this evening ('not spending it with you' was what I should have said). I gave him a mobile number that was, well, not mine. Pity the Londoner at 0----------, as they shall be receiving a phone call this evening from a random bloke wanting to 'go out for drinks' (i.e. a shag).

Right. I am sad to announce that I will have to love you and leave you shortly, as I am currently caught in the whirlwind of packing and leaving this place that I've called 'my flat' for the past months. It's odd how phases of one's life seem to start and end with boxes and luggage. I don't like putting away photographs for some reason; it's as if I'm afraid that I will have no recollection of certain memories. Currently my walls are completely bare; it almost feels as if there's a chill in the room.

But brighter, sunnier places await - beautiful sights, great food, and foreign men. As it is doubtful I will be able to find a computer on which to post updates whilst in this locale, I expect that the next major post will arrive sometime two weeks or so from now (although for the next two days, I will respond to short comments). Do keep on sending questions, comments, what have you - but I cannot guarantee a response until I return to my other home.

And on that note, a mini-break is in order. Drink wine. Eat chocolate. Be happy.