16.7.04

webmaster

So I'm always a little late in jumping on the coolest-latest-hottest-film bandwagon, but better later than never.  A whole two years later, I have finally gotten round to renting Spider-man and subsequently seeing its sequel in the cinema last weekend.
 
For kids' films, they were both actually quite good, the second much more noticeably than the first, which was rife with just about every cliche possible - especially in the dreadful closing scene, during which I cringed about twenty-one times.  What hit me, however, from the very beginning was how deceptively complex the films were.  Given that so many characters have alter egos, the interrelationships between them really did form a very - how shall I put this - intricate web. 
 
Don't call me biased - especially whilst continuing my love affair with him since seeing Seabiscuit - but Tobey Maguire really did turn in a brilliant performance.  He was brilliant because he was understated, which is rare, and never at one point did he seem unreal  (yes, the CGI wasn't bad either).  As for villains, Willem Dafoe was clearly the better bad guy - what with his vacant, yet altogether piercing, blue-grey eyes, and ever-so-knowing creepy smile.
 
Do I sense a third Spider-man?  There was one relationship which was never fully resolved, but not to give anything away, I hope that if there is a third film, it won't be a repeat of the first...