6.5.04

back to the future

First things first. There have been a few subtle changes to the look of this website. Stick around - there will be more in the coming days and weeks.

I'm too knackered to post anything coherent, but this is for the man (yes, I know who you are) who seems to be rather impatient about the fact that I don't update this webpage every - oh I don't know - three hours.

Haven't you learned anything from 'The Apprentice?'
Probably not, as I haven't a clue as to what The Apprentice is. But if it's one of those ubiquitous reality shows, then I would be even less interested. Why aren't there any good shows on North American telly anymore?

What would you do if you didn't know what you wanted to do (in life that is)?
This is a question I've been trying to answer for a long time, and I will probably still be trying to answer it five or ten years from now. To be honest, I don't know what I'd do. But I'd certainly take each day as it comes. I've learnt a harsh lesson over the past few months - that the more time you spend thinking too hard about the future, the more time you waste of the present - time which you'll never get back. There are people who already have their lives planned out for them, but to me, that's dull and not necessarily right. I don't live that way, and I don't think you do either. There are people who spend their whole lives figuring out what they want to do. They may dabble in many things. There is nothing wrong with this. These people are often the most interesting people you'll meet, who have the most colourful personalities and the most enriching life experiences. I have met one of these people every time I've sat on countless flights back and forth across the Atlantic. They were all adults, most of them had secure careers, and all were highly successful in whatever craft they pursued. But yet...they were always still searching for...something.

I don't think you can plan out your life. Things will happen for a reason and when you least expect it, and there will come a day when it all falls into place. I would take each day at a time, and use the things you learn each day to guide you closer to a decision about tomorrow. But I do think you ought to take a year off and travel to that country you mentioned you'd perhaps want to visit. Travelling enriches people like nothing else. In that time, I think you'll be able to see things more clearly. You just need the right time, space, and environment to do so. And where you currently are may not be the best place in which to do it.

One of my friends always says, 'Plan A is to win the lottery.' I wonder who that could have been. But if this isn't realistic enough for you, buy a hammock. Borrow books from the library. Read about interesting things and inspiring people. Then sit back and relax. Hey, it's life, whether you know what you're doing or not. Don't worry about the future. Just take it one day at a time.

How come this site isn't updated yet? I mean, it's been over 8 hours!
You're hilarious. Oh yes, keep on checking back here every three hours. Go on, make good use of valuable company resources - they didn't hire you for no reason ;)