4.3.05

I have spent three out of the past four nights with White Teeth D. Two nights ago I had thought that our Actuarial Science in course assessment was sorted - that is, until someone cleverly pointed out that we had forgot to use survival probabilities when calculating the required premiums - a gross oversight on both our parts. The assessment is due today, and at 4 pm yesterday, we essentially had to start over. He left my flat only an hour ago.

White Teeth D was one of the first people I recall meeting in first year. I thought he was American, and much older than the rest of us (he is older, by a wee bit. But don't tell him I said that. I prefer making him feel ancient - it's much more amusing). We really only briefly exchanged quick hellos in the corridors, or had piddly conversations about the weather, and that was about all. In second year, we didn't see much of each other. This year, however, we have become close again, doing a fair portion of our homework together. It certainly helps that he lives only a minute's walk away from me. But what I've found really quite surprising (and rather pleasant) is that out of all of my friends, he is the most similar to me. We've had similar upbringings and types of schooling, and we both appreciate art and culture, not to mention that we have very similar approaches/views on things. Most importantly however, our morals, values, and sense of right or wrong are intrinsically the same. The saying, 'you are who your friends are', could not be more appropriate here.

Our interests are actually quite different, however. He loves golf; it bores me to tears. I love (and am very opinionated about) certain genres of music; he's not heard much of it, and probably wouldn't enjoy it (although I'd be the first to tell him that he doesn't know what he's missing). He likes tomatoes and hates soymilk, and you guessed it - I love soymilk, and God, do I ever hate tomatoes. Yet, somehow, we get along.

I find it rather amazing that two people can appear to be quite different on the surface, and yet, differences aside, can also be extraordinarily similar in very many ways. It's strange. And yet it is also very comforting, to have connections to people who can catch your eye at little moments and say in their own silent way, 'Yes, I understand you'. It makes you feel just a bit more human, I think.