27.2.05

the second that says so much

I saw Tongue this weekend.

Although eye contact lasted a mere split second, enough was communicated during it. If only I could adequately describe the expression on his face - there was first a flash of recognition, and then 'oh shit, it's her', followed by 'oh shit, I can't believe it's her', coupled with a generous dose of shock, guilt, and shame, and not knowing how the hell to react.

I said and did nothing. A month of moving on with my life had not prepared me for the sheer unexpectedness of what had happened, and in some ways, I'm still reeling from it. I feel a strange mix of discomfort and confusion. I had not expected him to say anything to me, and indeed he did not. He left shortly thereafter, having quickly diverted his gaze, pretending not to have seen me. Expressionless. Blank.

But it was enough. And the feelings contained in that moment were much more than what all of his text messages could have added up to saying.

I just wish I felt a bit better about it.