11.2.05

the radio 2 effect

The Brit awards were held on Wednesday night, and, pop categories aside, I was moderately pleased with the results. I was particularly interested in the British Rock Act award, for which Franz Ferdinand, Kasabian, Muse, Snow Patrol and The Libertines were nominated (Franz Ferdinand won).

I know that I'm a music snob (actually, that might be a bit of an understatement). But looking through the list of winners - Will Young, Keane (who, I'll admit, are decent), The Streets, and Joss Stone - it appears as though the voting panel consisted of executives from Radio 2, the home of soft pop/rock. I have nothing against soft pop/rock (well, maybe I do), but if this is the direction in which British music is headed, I find this mildly disturbing.

And don't get me started on Robbie Williams' Angels, which is supposedly the 'best song of the last 25 years'. Robbie Williams beat Joy Division (Love Will Tear Us Apart - brilliant), or Kate Bush, whose Wuthering Heights is an undeniable classic? I nearly fainted. Robbie Williams. It's simply not right.

I was very sorry to miss seeing the Scissor Sisters open the awards show with a performance that apparently included singing melons (there are times during which I really wish I had a TV). I would have also liked to see Franz Ferdinand accepting their awards. In fact, I would have liked to give them an award myself. Best British Hair. No, really.