24.2.05

of spiders and poisoned meringues

I think I might have been hallucinating two nights ago. It was 3 am and I was lying in bed, trying to fall asleep, although not very successfully. I had my iPod on and suddenly I began noticing spiders on the walls - hundreds and hundreds of spiders. Now, I'm terrified of spiders, and seeing them all over my walls was not entirely comforting, so I stifled a scream, squeezed my eyes shut, and curled into little ball, pulling my covers tight round me.

It was then that I started thinking that I would not wake up alive. Earlier on in the day, I had bought a small tub of meringues at Marks & Spencer, and it wasn't until I got home that I realised that the tub's lid was slightly ajar - although the seal was still intact. I thought little of it, and ate one meringue, although this might not have been such a terrific idea at the time. When I was lying in bed, seeing spiders, I thought of the meringue. And then I thought - 'My God. The lid was ajar because the meringues were poisoned, and therefore I am going to die'. At that point I nearly got up to drink a litre (or two) of water, hoping to flush out any toxins there might have been in my body, but I didn't - there were spiders on the walls and I was too scared to move. I got a spooky feeling that I would not wake up alive - either due to the spiders or to the poisoned meringues - and my dying thoughts were as follows: 'Don't fall asleep. You won't wake up again. There are spiders coming to get you. The meringues have been poisoned. Don't fall asleep. Don't fall asleep. Don't fall...'

Then I reckon I did fall asleep. The following morning, I was rather amazed that I actually did wake up alive, and that there weren't any spiders on the walls. I promptly had another two meringues thereafter - just to make myself feel a bit better.