3.2.05

I have bought a load of things lately - all of which are actually rather useless but make me happy nonetheless. They are:
  • A woven Moroccan leather belt with silver discs.
    Boho chic a la Sienna Miller/Kate Moss/every other blonde, wavy haired it girl of the moment, except that I am not blonde nor remotely wavy haired. Oh well. I too can be an it girl/wanton starlet/trashy girl left behind at the prom etc.

  • A small muscari plant in a silver pot.
    I feel sorry for it already. This poor plant will undoubtedly suffer the same fate as all of the other houseplants I've cared for/murdered (delete as applicable). Plants. So high maintenance.

  • A package of 50 peel-and-seal white envelopes.
    I was looking for the ribbed manila sort, but they were rather unfortunately sold out. Peel-and-seal seems like an insult to my intelligence. Amongst my other talents, and contrary to what you all might think, I am perfectly capable of licking an envelope.

  • A black ink pen.
    The same sort I'd bought a month ago whose ink, to my horror, dried up promptly with a mere week's worth of use. However I believe that everything deserves a second chance, and that includes pens (however crap they might have once been).*

  • A mother's day card.
    I keep forgetting that my mum lives in Canada, where Mother's Day is celebrated in May or thereabouts; and that I live in Britain, where Mother's Day is celebrated in March (so terribly confusing). Those Canadians - incredibly obtuse. They have to be different about everything, don't they.

  • Two tinted lip conditioners.
    The fact that I have full lips means that there is simply a great deal of surface area to cover. Not really a very good excuse for purchasing more lip balms to add to my collection of, oh, 2,136 similar products of course.

  • A pair of pale gold with dark brown pumps.
    After consulting with my stylist (Mum), she said, 'Those have got to be the ugliest shoes I have ever seen!' and went on to remind me of a pair of multicoloured, striped bellbottoms I had the stupidity of wearing in sixth grade. Every it girl/wide-eyed ingenue/etc is allowed to make disastrous choices in important sartorial matters such as these. (The shoes went back to the shop - how I adore thee, return policy.)

  • A box of Ultra Light pantyliners
    Why? Because I find UltraSilk (where is that bloody trademark symbol?) technology fascinating, darling.

  • A bottle of white wine (for cooking, I promise)
    To my horror and embarrassment, I was carded whilst buying this at Marks & Bloody Spencer Food. 'Are you over 18 years old?' the cashier said, looking down at me sternly, dangling the bottle (rather infuriatingly) in manner of hypnotic swinging pendulum. In situations like these I make good use of my eyelashes and voice (which reportedly has gotten even huskier lately, if you've not heard it in awhile). 'I'm turning 22 next week, actually', I said (whilst wanting to be swallowed up by the floor). One of these days/years I shall take being carded as a compliment.
*Please note that this statement does not always apply to men.