19.9.04

on my own

This week has felt strangely long and short, all at once. So much got done, especially at the beginning, when I had just moved into my flat. Only seven days later my parents have flown back to Toronto and I'm sitting here staring rather glumly out the window and doing my laundry.

I miss them already, and the flat feels very empty right now. Last year it was different - although they had helped me move in, they stayed at a hotel and came over occasionally during the week that they were here. This time, however (and considering I'm now living on my own) we were together 24/7, and they stayed at the flat instead of a hotel. It felt like they were truly a part of the flat; it feels strangely empty now.

That being said, although I very much enjoyed and appreciated their help and company, I am looking forward to having some space and quiet to sort out my life. My mum said that she felt it was time to leave - she even admitted to feeling the 'onset of cabin fever'.

There is still much for me to do in this week that remains before lectures begin - I still have loads of paperwork to sort out, but most of all I would like to have some peace and quiet, pop in a DVD, and curl up on my bed. Today was busy though - after leaving Heathrow, I popped down to Oxford Street and did a load of walking (and shopping). Items of note: Molton Brown lotion, Fresh Lychee soap, iPod remote control, mini kettle, and oyster mushrooms.

Speaking of which - dinner awaits.