30.8.04

white is the new black

After nearly three years of salivating for it, I am now very fortunate to be the proud owner of a new, shiny, and very stunning white Apple iPod.

Apple are geniuses when it comes to innovation, and the iPod is no exception - in my opinion Apple belongs in the upper echelons of product design, alongside Sony, Mont Blanc, Bang & Olufsen etc. Everybody and their brother knows what it looks like, but to actually feel it in your hand, to hear the satisfying 'click' as you scroll using its click wheel, to see it glow a fabulous sky blue when its backlight is activated, and to enjoy the crisp bass using those cool white headphones, is something else altogether. It is my baby.

I chose a classic model over the iPod Mini. It was, in part, due to the premium paid for Mini's small size - too tiny, in my opinion, and I cannot imagine someone with bigger hands than mine fumbling around with its little click wheel and squinting into its small screen. The Mini's 4GB capacity seemed on the small side as well, considering I had over 3GB of songs on my computer to begin with. As for the colours - they're cute, but if your colour preferences change as frequently as mine do, you're going to be in trouble if suddenly green is the unhippest colour around. The classic model, however, comes in every colour you'd want, as long as it's white. And is it ever gorgeous.

On Saturday I spent the entire afternoon transferring a good part of my vast CD collection onto the iPod. All in all, I currently have just over 5GB (1500 songs) on it, and the collection is growing. I have no idea how I managed to get by using Discmans for the past few years. iPods, and other such related devices, could very well change the way music is consumed in the future (and that probably spells terrible news for CD companies). I'm sure I'm not the only one who can see themselves downloading songs instead of purchasing CDs - how convenient is it not having to cart around an entire load of CDs when you've got an mp3 player? However, I can see myself buying CDs if it involves impossible-to-find French lounge compilations, Radiohead's 'lost' b-sides, or stunning liner notes for that matter. Pretty packaging - oooooh.