1.4.05

a fine line

Do you ever get the feeling that you're walking on a perpetually fine line, that any imbalance is a sign of trouble, that any misstep will end in disaster? The line I am currently walking on is one that involves my family and my personal life. It is wholly difficult balancing the two, and even worse is the feeling of trying not to step too far onto one side that you completely neglect the other.

I thought I was doing ok - that is, until a phone call this morning that almost made me fall off of my chair (and not in a good way either). An adequate word for the feeling I had after that call was 'gobsmacked'. I had no idea where all of those accusations came from. My mother can be so, so, so difficult to deal with, and she is often worlds away from understanding me and my intentions. What's worse is that she often thinks she understands me perfectly, when in reality only about two or three people in my life actually do.

I was told to 'figure it out' for myself and not come home until I had done so. And before I could say anything at all, there was silence.

Then click.

Dial tone.