29.3.05

days like these

Firstly, I ought to apologise for my elusiveness. I have little excuse really, but I'll blame it on my boyfriend, although I should point out that he is clearly the more diplomatic one in the relationship - a few days ago he was urging me to post, for fear of my friends blaming him for the lack of blogging. So here I am, and I hope you can accept my apologies, although you really ought to be thanking him for this post!

It scares me somewhat to realise that it has been less than a week since term ended but that so much has happened since then. We had our first date on 18 March, having a lovely dinner and catching a showing of Hitch, and spent the wee hours of the morning exploring the depths of London - all the way from Southwark across to St Paul's, into the City, pausing underneath the silently imposing Lloyd's tower and Gherkin, getting lost in Barbican, and finally weaving our way back into Fitzrovia.

It was a momentary respite from the last bits of coursework that were due in on the last day of term. Most nights were spent in the cluster room on campus with our friends, joking about, enjoying each other's company, and occasionally working. Wednesday rolled around, the coursework was handed in, and that was that - the last set of lectures of our undergraduate careers, the implications of which have not hit me yet. It feels so very odd to be finished. I seem to have completely lost track of time.

JT's birthday party/end of term celebration was held that night in Angel. It was a lovely evening, and I'm happy to say that there were individuals there who were vastly more drunk than I (the bus ride into Angel was rather embarrassing to say the least, and included some highly shameful acrobatic stunts courtesy of N and V). But what I remember most about that evening was the moment much later on at night, when time seemed to stop, the rest of the world ceased to exist, and D had my hands in his. As I leaned forward, lost in a hazel sea, he told me that he loved me, and in those seconds, he had managed to encompass all of the emotions I'd been feeling in the past few weeks in just three little words.

What did we do in the days thereafter? Quite a lot, actually. A non-exhaustive list would include a trip into Canary Wharf; watching the ducks during dusk on a bench in St James' Park; catching an IMAX film at the Science Museum; people-watching whilst curled up in each other's arms in dark corners of underground bars; shivering outside in Leicester Square and having Belgian chocolate and tiramisu-flavoured ice creams; and last but not least, falling asleep next to each other, sharing heartbeats and dream space, and waking up in the tangled closeness of arms and limbs, in the breath of the still morning air.