8.11.04

you never know what those farmers get up to...

The thesis I am working on this year is about sexual behaviour/sexual lifestyles/sexual attitudes in Britain. Now, anything sex-related is bound to be interesting (which is partly why I chose this topic instead of modelling environmental influences on trees, for example, not that trees aren't interesting, of course).

I'm bound by a strict confidentiality agreement stating that I am not to disclose specific results from particular interviews or questionnaires, but I will comment on something I've just come across in analysing dataset input variables. There was a section on the 1990 questionnaire that asked how respondents learnt about sex, which is quite a standard thing to ask on such a survey. The possible responses were also fairly standard - from a parent, relative, magazine, school, etc - except for one which read 'farm/animals'. Erm...sorry? I cannot possibly be the only one who is thinking horribly disgusting thoughts about this.

Thankfully, that response was omitted in the 2000 survey (it probably elicited many red faces and nervous giggles from respondents). It was replaced by 'video', which, strangely enough, did not appear in the 1990 survey. I hope there isn't some sort of implicit connection between 'farm/animals' and 'video'. But I think I'm thinking far too much about this...