15.11.04

120 hours

Thursday 11 November. Woken up by a friend's slightly drunken call at 08:45 (yes, that is early). Muddled through the Inference ICA (In-Course Assessment) and received four more similar phone calls. Met D and J (postgraduate students) to go through the ICA, and then dashed off to meet Z, F, and several others at 18:30 in the library. Being the workaholics we are, we were there till 21:15.

Friday 12 November. Project meeting at 10:00 which ran half an hour late, followed by yet another meeting with Z, F, et al to discuss the bloody irritating last bit of an Inference question ('express the Cramer-Rao lower bound as a percentage of the variance of the minimum unbiased variance estimator'). We spent an astounding total of over five hours on this bit, and we're meant to be the top of our class. I reckon we were trying to make the maths far too complex than it should have been. A few hours later, it was dinner with A, A and M to satisfy my craving for Japanese food, followed by coffee/desserts. A and I caught a late-night show of Bridget Jones's Diary: The Edge of Reason - pure fluff, but loads of fun, and had the entire audience giggling throughout.

Saturday 13 November. Woke up too late to do anything substantial, so did my usual routine of Saturday morning cleaning. Early afternoon called for some shopping, starting from Bond Street and heading down Oxford Street. Late dinner. Received a call from a friend who happened to be walking past my flat - 'Crikey! The aliens have fucking landed!' I opened the curtains and was blinded by a spotlight sat on a piece of scaffolding right outside my window. It was 23:15 and there was a bloody film crew on the street outside. The next hour was spent sat on the windowsill in my slipdress watching the filming.

Sunday 14 November. Visited the Victoria & Albert Museum, which in my opinion was a glorified Antiques Roadshow. I have never been in such a massive building with so many...knick-knacks. The Japan exhibit was astounding though. Walked down to High Street Kensington for a late lunch at Wagamama, and then to Boots to pick up a body wash. Late dinner. Midnight entertainment - Devotional.

And here I am, Monday night, after having endured a six-hour day of pure Inference. (There is such thing as too much Inference, but I don't think our lecturer agrees.) Mondays are brutal - why can't the world leave me alone?