28.9.04

prolonging the hols

I registered for my courses yesterday. Thus far, my timetable is alright - I have got Tuesdays off, provided my lecturers don't decide to schedule seminars/tutorials then (and let's hope they don't).

To my pleasant surprise, lectures don't actually begin until Thursday, so I am going to be spending the first of my two last days before the hols are over, in Notting Hill.

At the weekend I went to the Design Museum in a part of London I've never really ventured into before - Shad Thames, under Tower Bridge. The Museum itself was wonderful, and very interesting (and I was amused to see that the Apple iPod has made it in the upper echelons of product design) - but it was the location that blew me away.

The scary part of it was that I could actually see myself living in that district, and I've never felt that way about any other district in London. It had the perfect combination of artsiness combined with restraint, and was a place of contrast, which I love: old, cobblestoned streets and new, strikingly modern buildings silhouetted against the skyline. There were green spaces, benches, and lights strung upon the trees lining the Riverside Walk. It felt comfortable. And the view overlooking the river Thames - it was to die for. I could have sat there all day, drinking it all in.