24.9.04

london fashion week-end @ duke of york's square

God, I'm knackered. Knackered from shopping. I did my part to support London Fashion Week today, at the annual London Fashion Week-end sale, during which the majority of runway items previewed on the catwalk earlier on this week are sold to the public at heavily discounted prices.

When one hears 'heavily discounted', they ought to ask 'discounted from what amount?' as 40% discounted from a £700 item is still a disgustingly large sum. What was frightening was the rate at which these items were being snapped up. As much as I'd kill to have a Temperley tea dress, I would still not pay £275 for it, even if it used to be £770.

I figured that to make my £10 entrance ticket worthwhile, I ought to buy something, even if it wasn't a Temperley dress (sigh). Instead, I settled for three gorgeous FrostFrench knickers - heavenly and totally adorable - as well as a shimmery charcoal satin pleated skirt from Lo and Cabon. Beautiful. The best part was that my purchases were all excellent buys, thankfully. This makes a girl very, very pleased indeed.

Afterwards I managed to catch a showing of Wimbledon at the Odeon on Tottenham Court Road. It was quite enjoyable and well-paced, albeit rather sappy. Very British. I was rather shocked to see Bernard Hill in the film, however - especially during the scene where he beat his chest like a gorilla, whilst making related noises. Somehow an image of King Theoden doing this crept into my mind, and I couldn't stop giggling afterwards.