13.6.05

leaving on a jet plane

I really didn't expect Toronto to be this hot - I think I've been away for so long that I've completely forgotten what the weather is like here in the summer.

The past few days have been spent unpacking, shopping, packing, and spending time with family. Last night I was greatly saddened - not to mention worried - when I saw my other baby, Cuddles, for the first time in nine months and discovered that the cataract in his right eye is much worse now than it was in September. He used to love going out for walks in the morning; I am told that nowadays he refuses to go out because he cannot see or hear very well, and relies solely on his sense of smell. Witnessing his tendency to walk into walls and bump into people because of his poor vision made me want to hold him forever and kiss him better. Just like people, dogs also grow older.

Tomorrow I'll be seeing D again, when we meet at the airport for the start of our European trip. Final examinations and other assorted issues have not given me as much time as I'd have liked to think about our trip, and now that it's a day away, I cannot believe that it is upon us already. We will be starting with a few days in Rome, followed by a journey around Italy including Pisa, Florence, Milan, Lake Maggiore, Lugano (on the Italian-Swiss border), Venice, Ravenna, Assisi, Pompeii, and Sorrento. Following that, we will be exploring the south coast of France by rail, stopping at Monte Carlo, Cannes, St Tropez, Aix-en-Provence, Avignon, and Nice - I hope I didn't miss anything. God I can't wait!

As such, packing awaits (as does laundry, ironing, cleaning, replying to e-mails etc) and thus I shall have to love you and leave you for the time being. I will do my best to keep in touch whilst I am away, but in any case I will be back in July.

Take care of yourselves, I'll miss you.