31.12.04

goodbye 2004

1. What did you do in 2004 that you'd never done before?
I met Andy Serkis and Billy Boyd of Gollum and Pippin fame, respectively.

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Most were kept; the ones that weren't will go on next year's list.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My thesis supervisor's wife gave birth to a beautiful little girl.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
My great-grandmother. People you love should not have to be taken away from you.

5. What countries did you visit?
Britain (obviously), Canada (obviously), Italy, Vatican City, and the US.

6. What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004?
The ability to focus and not get so easily distracted.

7. What dates from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Sitting the Applied Probability exam in May - I've never felt so stupid in my life. The recent Muse gig and near hyperventilation. Opening the acceptance letter envelope from Oxford. Seeing Mum and Dad at the airport.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Being accepted into Oxford, no doubt.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not being as supportive of a very close family member as I would have liked. Bloody Atlantic Ocean.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Luckily not - just the odd cold at the beginning of fall.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
It would have to be my iPod, which I am never without. That and my entire Depeche Mode discography.

12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
White Teeth D's on a drunken night out. 'Hey mate, you can't dance.' Quality.

13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
I won't say, but it's not anyone who reads this website.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Into Depeche Mode's wallets. It was worth it.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My parents coming to visit, and the prospect of a new Depeche Mode album.

16. What song will always remind you of 2004?
Keane's 'Everybody's Changing'.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier and more fulfilled.
b) thinner or fatter? Fatter, although I prefer to call it 'more womanly'.
c) richer or poorer? Oh God. Much, much, much poorer.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Seen more of my friends instead of being buried in work. On second thought, we were all buried in work. Sigh.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
One word - Selfridges.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Christmas was a lovely, quiet one, spent with my parents here in London.

22. Did you fall in love in 2004?
(Erm, where did question 21 go?) I didn't fall in love; rather, I fell out of love.

23. How many one-night stands?
None.

24. What was your favourite TV program?
I don't have a television license unfortunately. But I do love The Office on DVD.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Yes. I cannot stand seeing a loved one being hurt and manipulated.

26. What was the best book you read?
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, by...as if you didn't know who wrote that.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Depeche Mode although they weren't an entirely new discovery, as I've listened to them before. (My answers are starting to get boring, aren't they.)

28. What did you want and get?
Happiness, fulfillment, acceptance of the past.

29. What did you want and not get?
Nothing.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Hands down - The Incredibles.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I had just turned 21 and had assessments due that day. Fun.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Seeing my family more.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004?
Black. God, my entire wardrobe was black and is likely to stay that way. The uni look - fitted blazers, soft jumpers, nice denim, pointy flats. The work look - pencil skirts, fitted shirts, stilettos. The current look - black fitted belted trenchcoat, fitted denim, and black courts. Notice a trend? Black and fitted. Always works.

34. What kept you sane?
My iPod.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Dave Gahan *swoon*

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
I won't pretend to know anything about politics.

37. Who did you miss?
My grandfather, immeasurably.

38. Who was the best new person you met?
Keith @ SE.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004:
Everything happens for a reason, and those reasons are not for us to decide.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
I need you to trust who I'm going to be
And in everything I'm going to do
Cos I'm not afraid of what I don't know
For understanding is all that I earn
But what is for sure is I'm going to go
I'm going to live
And I'm going to learn

Happy New Year, everyone. Be safe tonight.