28.12.04

blink of an eye

'London at Christmastime,' someone recently informed me, 'is mad. Absolutely mad. It becomes a total ghost town, if you can believe it'.

I had a difficult time last week believing a preposterous claim like that - after all, I was still getting trampled on by the consumerist masses whilst shopping on Oxford Street. Now, however, I am surprised to find myself admitting that it is indeed true.

Earlier today I dropped my parents off at Heathrow - they had come to visit for a few days. It was a lovely Christmas. We spent most of our time in the flat, catching up and making lots of food. We did go shopping, and saw a film as well, but aside from that we kept it simple. It seems like yesterday that they had just arrived. I miss them already.

This is my first time staying in London over Christmas and it admittedly does feel a bit strange. Tradition has it that we have a big, cheery, family Christmas dinner each year - it was held at our house this time, and I missed it. London seems to have emptied itself over the past few days - all the flats across the street are dark and silent; even the people living in my building have gone away. Shops are quiet and closed; restaurants that once used to be full of people have dimmed their lights. There is barely any traffic outside. And it is very, very chilly.

I love Christmas, but it somehow always makes me a bit sad. Strange how time flies by so quickly.