22.4.04

too little, too late

Like the post below says, I really do have high standards. I expect a lot from people. But I have also come to discover that the more I expect from them, the more I am also greatly disappointed.

How do you know who your friends really are? I am fortunate that, for the most part, I have the greatest friends anyone could ask for. But there are others. What someone doesn't do says more about them than the things that they actually do. I feel restless these days. I'm discovering new things and certain parts of me that have been dormant for so long are beginning to take form again. Things are happening on a different plane. But this also means that I have increasingly little patience for those who seem lacklustre and uninteresting in comparison to these changes.

My relationship with certain people in my life has changed lately. I'm not sure how much longer I can accept personality or lack of time as excuses. If you don't care about someone, it's pretty bloody obvious.

On the other hand, there has been a change in my life that I'm happy with, and it's in reconnecting with family members with whom I have lost touch over so many years and for so many unjustified reasons. But it is with them that I have finally found an outlet - both creative and emotional - and my initial fear of reconnecting again and then being driven apart by differences seems to be unfounded. Could it be the start of something we've missed out on after so many years? My relationships with family right now is so...well...full. Rediscovering a person is like getting to know someone, someone you've never met before. Except in this case, it's different - you know them, but you're simply meeting again, many years later, with experiences behind you and enriching the other person's life because of them. And this combination of being both family and friend is so comforting. Richer than a normal friendship. So thanks. You know who you are.

But I'm still learning a difficult lesson. When it comes to other people, sometimes you have to lower your standards and accept people the way they are because they will never change. And the more you expect from these people, the more they will only disappoint and hurt you in the end. They do too little.

And far too late.